GALLATIN, Tenn. - An elderly woman was killed when fire broke out at her Gallatin home.
The incident was reported around 2 a.m. Friday at a home on East Eastland Street.
When crews arrived on the scene, the home was fully engulfed, with flames coming through the center and roof of the structure.
Officials said Mary Edwards, believed to be in her 70s, died from smoke inhalation.
"The house is an older house. It's been added onto several times. And it is difficult to get into a house like that. It was challenging," said Gallatin Fire Battalion Chief Rodney Pryor. "Like I said earlier, once we arrived the fire was coming through the center of the house. So the odds were against us from the beginning."
The cause of the fire was deemed electrical in nature.