RECIPIE #4313 - BAKED TROPICAL CORNMEAL PUDDING WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
AL ANDERSON / BROADWAY BREWHOUSE & MOJO GRILL
- 2 cups whole milk
- (1) 14 oz. bag of caramel candies
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 5 large eggs
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 6 oz. dried tropical fruit
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Butter for greasing baking dish
- Fresh Fruit
Cooking Preparation for Cornmeal Pudding:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
2. In a medium size bowl place the dried fruit and pour the orange juice into the bowl.
3. In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk, whisking constantly.
4. Add the butter, salt, sugar and cornmeal.
5. Continue to whisk constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, then remove from heat.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and rum. Slowly whisk in ½ cup of the milk mixture. In a slow steady strem, pour the egg mixture into the sauce pan with the milk mixture, whisking constantly.
7. Add the dried tropical fruit, orange juice and vanilla and mix until well combined.
8. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes, until set. Allow to cool slightly,slice and serve with fresh fruit and caramel sauce.
Caramel Sauce Preparation:
1. Remove wrappers from caramels
2. Combine caramels and water in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally,until smooth and well blended.
3. Cool until thickened slightly;serve warm caramel sauce over tropical cornmeal pudding.