Sergeant In Stable But Critical Condition After Shooting - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Sergeant In Stable But Critical Condition After Shooting


NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A Metro police sergeant continues to recover after being shot several times during a traffic stop. Doctors said Sgt. Mark Chesnut's fight was far from over, but they have hope. 

On June 30 doctors upgraded Chesnut's condition to critical but stable.

Chestnut had his second surgery procedure on Friday, June 26. Officials said he had a rough night on Thursday, and he was in a medically induced coma so his body can more easily recover.

The officer had many well wishers from one officer after another at Vanderbilt University Hospital Friday afternoon.

The men and women in blue wanted to show their support for injured Chesnut. He suffered critical injuries Thursday after he was shot several times during a traffic stop.
Investigation Reveals More Details In Sergeant Shooting

"He's in our prayers, his family's in our prayers and we'll pray for him everyday until he gets better," said Berry Hill police officer James Upchurch.

Police said 30-year-old Joseph Jackson shot Sergeant Chesnut five hours after 25-year-old Courtney Logan helped him escape from police custody in Greenwood, Miss.

"Oh Courtney, you know I'm very angry," said Logan's mother.

From her home in Louisville, Ky., Logan's mother wanted to get a message to Sergeant Chestnut.

"My heart goes out to his family and to him. I just hope everything works out. God bless him for doing his job," said Logan's mother.

Police said Chesnut pulled Logan over for not wearing his seatbelt in a car Logan's mother helped him get the day before in Louisville.

"I had rented the car for him, but my intention for the car was for him to get his kids from daycare and for him to take his kids mother to work," said Logan's mother.

Police said Logan's idea for the car was much different one that took a dangerous detour in Nashville.

Police said Jackson confessed to shooting Chesnut. Jackson told police he did it because he did not want to go back to prison.

Logan was put on suicide watch after trying to killing himself Friday afternoon in his cell.

Both Logan and Joseph Jackson are in the Metro Jail with a bond for each set at more than $3 million.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.