Metro Police Release Case Summary Of McNair, Kazemi - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

NewsChannel 5 Investigates:

Metro Police Release Case Summary Of McNair, Kazemi


NASHVILLE, Tenn.NewsChannel 5 Investigates obtained a copy of conversations between Steve McNair and his girlfriend just hours before their deaths. Metro police released a summary Monday night of their investigation.

Investigative reporter Ben Hall was the first to see the report.

Police have worked on the 14-page summary for weeks, but it was released because of a CBS News investigation into McNair's murder.

CBS News is questioning the police investigation and the timeline of events, including when Sahel Kazemi purchased the gun.

The police department released a summary of its investigation.
Case Summary of Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi (.pdf)

Sahel Kazemi's former boyfriend, Keith Norfleet, also spoke about the woman's relationship with McNair. He said Kazemi knew McNair was seeing other women long before the murder suicide.

According to the 14 page police summary of the investigation, one of the women was Leah Ignagni. She lived downtown in the gulch, and she told police she thought on several occasions Kazemi was following her.

Ignagni also said McNair spent the night with her on July 2.

The report said Kazemi was responsible for the murder suicide, and includes text messages between Kazemi and McNair in the hours before the murder.

In fact, the day before the murder at 2 a.m. on July 3 she texts, "u love me."

One minute later McNair texts, "I love u baby." 

Then Kazemi writes, "I'm gonna have all of u soon."

McNair writes back, "Yes u will."

Then at 10:05 a.m. she texts, "Baby I might have a break down. I'm so stressed."

She later asked McNair to transfer money into her account to pay bills, and he said he would.

Then, she texts, "I have to be w u 2nite. I dnt care where." 

McNair repeatedly said he was with his family. At 10:45 p.m., Kazemi said she was going to McNair's condo.

At 12:38 a.m., McNair texts, "On my way."

Police believe the murder happened just hours later. 

The other interesting thing in the report is that when McNair's friend Wayne Neely first found the body on July 4, he did not call police. Instead, he called General Sessions Judge Casey Moreland.

That's why it took 44 minutes for 911 to be called. The report said the judge told Neely to immediately call 911.

Judge Moreland issued a statement by e-mail:
"My conversation with Mr. Neely was advising a very distraught friend to return to the apartment, call the police and tell them everything he saw and knows! I told him to also inform them of everything he touched while in the apartment. I told him to do those things right away. I told him to do the right thing. I think Mr. Neely was so upset he was having a hard time thinking rationally. At no time did I feel he was trying to hide anything, only upset!"

Metro police are standing by their investigation.

Back to NewsChannel 5 Investigates

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.