One Person Dies In Columbia House Fire - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

One Person Dies In Columbia House Fire

Posted:

COLUMBIA, Tenn. - One person died Wednesday after a house caught fire in Maury County. The fire broke out around midnight on Hannaway Street in Columbia.

Neighbors said an elderly woman in her 90s and her adult son in his mid-60s were inside the home.

According to the neighbors, the son saved his mother's life.

The mother said she thinks the fire started when her wood stove blew as her son was putting something in it, and the explosion caught her son on fire.

While still on fire, the son made sure that his mom got out of the house. The son then ran out of the house and died on the neighbor's driveway.

The home is considered a total loss, so Red Cross provided assistance to the mother.

Part of the street was blocked because water caused ice to form. Salt crew were called to the scene.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.