ALISON LEWIS / INGREDIENTS INC.
Easy Valentine's Brownies
Cook: 25 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red and white icing (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the flour mixture, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
3. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8 x 8-inch baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire racks. Refrigerate for up 15 minutes before cutting into heart cookie cutters. Decorate with icing if desired.
Cookie Dough Truffles
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 (14 oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
14 oz dark candy coating
1. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add in the vanilla, mixing well.
2. Alternating, add the flour mixture followed by the condensed milk, beating well in between each addition. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop 1 tablespoon balls and place on wax paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until they are firm.
3. In the palms of your hands, roll them into balls. Place back in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes.
4. Melt chocolate according to package directions. Let cool. Use forks or a dipping tool, dip cookie balls in candy coating to cover. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and chill until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Makes 3-1/2 dozen.
4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup dry oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Spread strawberries evenly in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
3. Combine, flour, sugar, oats and baking powder, mixing well. Add egg and cinnamon, stirring gently with a fork to combine. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over strawberries, Drizzle with butter.
4. Bake in a preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Makes 8 servings.