Strong Storms Leave Behind Damage In Mid-State - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Strong Storms Leave Behind Damage In Mid-State

Posted: Updated:
Church members pray outside Smith Springs Church of Christ Church members pray outside Smith Springs Church of Christ

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The strong storms that passed quickly through the mid-state on Thursday night left behind a lot of damage in their wake.

Reports of downed power lines and trees were reported all over the Nashville and surrounding areas. There were reports of about 30 homes damaged by trees, mostly in the Percy Priest area.

The Smith Springs Church of Christ had three-quarters of their roof ripped off by strong winds. Church members gathered to assess the damage, and they gathered in a prayer circle.

TEMA officials will assess damage at daybreak Friday.

The neighboring Presbyterian church was also damaged, and nearby homes.

A tree was blown down in the road on top of a power line on West Greenwood Avenue in East Nashville.

Crews from Nashville Electric Service are still restoring power to many residents. At one point Thursday night, more than 32,000 customers were without power.

In Wilson County, there were reports of serious damage at the Bridgestone Distribution Center near Lebanon. Two workers were taken to the hospital with injuries. Two others were not injured.

There were also reports that two people were unaccounted for at a home near the plant.

Hendersonville is reporting property damage in the Indian Lake Road area, with possible minor injuries.

Perry County Dispatch said that a tornado touched down in the Deer Creek Area. There has been damage, but it is still undetermined how much.

The storm pushed through the Memphis earlier in the evening.

On Highway 51 near Memphis, sheets of rain fell, tree limbs blew onto the road and lightning lit up the evening sky.

Rudy Gay of the Memphis Grizzlies tweeted that he and others took shelter in a closet during the storm, which interrupted a photo shoot.

Trees were down across Shelby County where power outages were reported. At the University of Tennessee at Martin, students were told to go to basements.

There was no immediate word of serious injuries.

Nashville's Office of Emergency Management encouraged citizens to use extreme caution between the hours of 6 p.m. and midnight.  

Metro Police also encourage residents to be safe when traveling home and avoid rush hour by adjusting your departure time if possible. 

Police officers on extra-duty assignment will be monitoring flood prone areas this evening, particularly those neighborhoods that were the most impacted by last May's flooding.

Vanderbilt Children's Hospital started putting out sandbags on Thursday, hoping to keep potential floodwaters away from the main entrance. The hospital said they're watching the forecast carefully, and using the sandbags as a precaution.

MNPS cancelled all after-school activities, which include tutoring services, Twilight programs, athletics events and practices, or any other school-sponsored event scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 24. 

The Middle School Basketball City Championship Games, which were scheduled for this evening, have been postponed to Friday, Feb. 25. The championships will remain at Whites Creek High School. 

The Vanderbilt Women's basketball game scheduled for Thursday night was postponed until Friday.

Metro's Office of Emergency Management called for a partial activation of their Emergency Operations Center. It went into effective at 10 a.m. Thursday.

The rain and thunderstorms already made for a busy Thursday morning, from car wrecks to reports of lightning strikes. 

One incident took place along Interstate 40 East, keeping emergency responders busy through the thick of the downpour around 1:30 a.m. Thursday. It happened near the Bellevue exit near mile marker 197. No life threatening injuries were reported in that crash. 

Just before 3 a.m., homeowners reported their house was struck by lightning. That was on Gilmore Crossing Lane, just off Briley Parkway. 

Firefighters said the lightning struck the back of the home and shot through the breakers and burned the siding of the home. The couple got out safely, and firefighters said the rain may have helped keep the house from catching on fire. 

The home is still without power. Neighboring homes also lost power, but has since been restored. 

The system will move out by Friday morning followed by slightly cooler and drier air for Friday and Saturday. 

OEM said they are monitoring the situation and said the partial activation is a precautionary measure in case the situation changes. 

Another storm system moves in late Sunday into Monday.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.