School Science Lesson Nearly Blows Student's Hand Off
by Nick Beres
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - An in-class science project at McGavock High School went horribly wrong, nearly blowing off a student's hand. The student's family has filed a lawsuit against Metro-Nashville Public Schools following the incident in March.
"What they were doing would qualify as an explosive weapon," said Nick Leonardo, attorney for student Jon Jackson and his family.
The lawsuit states that Jackson was "participating in a science experiment where students were instructed to make dry ice bombs."
The lesson was being taught by science teacher Gaylon Brooks. Jackson said Brooks took the students outside the school to detonate the bombs on a sports field. Jackson said he shook the bottle twice and it exploded in his hand, nearly blowing off his thumb. He needed surgery to have pins installed to save the thumb.
The lawsuit states that Jackson was "not required to wear protection or any barriers to insure [sic] safety ... from the weapon manufacturing enterprise."
Brooks did not get permission from the students' parents.
Metro school officials confirmed that several safety protocols were not followed. Brooks was suspended for two weeks and was issued a formal reprimand. He continued to teach for the remainder of the school year, but has since been terminated. Brooks could not be reached for comment.
Brooks was not charged with any crime. In Tennessee, the manufacture of dry ice bombs can be a Class B felony.