ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (AP) - An Elizabethton man said helping a neighbor save his house from a fire was just returning a favor.
Dave Smith told the Johnson City Press he was driving up to his house Monday afternoon when he saw smoke and knew instantly his new propane grill had exploded.
Smith began spraying his house and deck with a garden hose and was quickly joined by neighbors Kendal Hartman and Terry Morris, who also brought hoses. By the time firefighters arrived, the flames were out. The deck was charred and vinyl siding melted on the side of the house.
Hartman reminded Smith that about 10 years ago Smith was going to work when he saw Hartman's house on fire and ran inside to make sure everyone was safely out.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)