Authorities: Dangerous Man Who Escaped Halfway House Arrested - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Authorities: Dangerous Man Who Escaped Halfway House Arrested

Posted: Updated:
Kenneth Mallady, seen here in a mugshot taken after his arrest on July 26 for theft and assault at a Nashville market Kenneth Mallady, seen here in a mugshot taken after his arrest on July 26 for theft and assault at a Nashville market

HICKMAN COUNTY, Tenn. – Authorities in Hickman County said an extremely dangerous mental patient who escaped a halfway house has been arrested in Marshall County.

The Hickman County Sheriff's Department said 35-year-old Kenneth Ryan Mallady resisted arrest when he was found near Henry Horton State Park Thursday. Deputies will transport Mallady to the Middle Tennessee Mental Health facility in the Donelson area.

Mallady was last seen on July 26, but his escape was not reported to authorities until July 30.

Police said he is schizophrenic and has not been taking his medication.

Mallady had been found not guilty by reason of insanity of the first degree premeditated murder of his mother and attempted murder of his stepfather in Hickman County in 2003. Authorities said Mallady decapitated his mother and poked out the eyes of his stepfather.

"There's not a day that goes by that I'm not reminded of why my mom's not with me," said Mallady's sister, Rhonda Nolen.  "I couldn't bear the thought of him bringing harm to someone else and cause the pain I felt for the past nine years.  It's a hurt that never goes away, ever."

That's why the family wants answers about he was ever allowed to take part in an outpatient treatment program, and why no one reported him missing when he wandered away from the halfway house last month.

"How many other people were put in danger by his escape not being reported?" said his other sister, Regina Warren.  "Just because he was found not guilty by reason of insanity doesn't make him innocent.  He brutally murdered his own mother."

Mallady was arrested in Nashville on July 26 after he stole two 12 packs of beer from the Mekong Market on Richards Road. During the second theft, he allegedly got into a fight when a man tried to stop him from leaving the store with the stolen beer. He was charged with two counts of theft and assault, but was later released.

Sharon Puckett with the Williamson County Sheriff's Office also said Mallady was reported as a suspicious person by a caller last week; since no laws were broken and there was no record that he was wanted, they let him go.

In January, an appeals court overturned a previous ruling and allowed him to be discharged from Middle Tennessee Mental Health Institute to mandatory outpatient treatment at Anne's Care Home, a facility in a residential neighborhood. His sister wrote a letter against his release, saying her family was afraid he might come after them,  but his doctors testified on his behalf.

Court papers said six clients lived there, and four staff members provided supervision twenty-four hours a day. It went on to say that he was not allowed to leave without supervision, and if he did, staff was to alert 911 immediately.

Warren says it's clear now, that did not happen.

"I will settle for nothing less than a public apology and acceptance from the people who are responsible," she said. 

Mallady's sisters say he needs to be in a maximum security facility for the rest of his life, and they will fight to make sure that happens.


Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.