LYNNE TOLLEY / MISS MARY BOBO'S BOARDING HOUSE
3 heads bibb lettuce, cleaned and torn into bite-size pieces
1 ½ lbs fresh spinach, cleaned and torn into bite sized pieces
3 oranges, peeled, sectioned, and seeded
¾ medium red onions, sliced and separated into rings
¾ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 teaspoons butter
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
¾ cup white vinegar
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons celery seeds
1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
2 ½ teaspoons paprika
1 ½ teaspoons grated onions
1. In large salad bowl, combine lettuce, spinach, oranges and onion.
2. Melt butter and sauté walnuts until lightly browned (this will just take 2 or 3 minutes).
3. Sprinkle over lettuce mixture.
4. To make dressing: combine all the ingredients in a jar, shake well.
5. Pour enough dressing over salad ingredients to slightly moisten right before serving. Any extra dressing keeps well in the refrigerator.