Page Middle, High Schools Dismissed Due To Gas Leak
WILLIAMSON COUNTY, Tenn. – Students at two Williamson County schools were dismissed Monday afternoon due to a gas leak in the area.
A strong gas odor was detected around 8 a.m. at Page Middle and Page High Schools. The school system proceeded with their evacuation plan as a precaution and bused 1,700 students to the Williamson County Ag Center.
The gas company turned off the gas, tested and found the leaks, and were attempting to fix them. School officials say there were leaks found throughout both schools, including one pilot light that wasn't lit. They said the schools are near a gas company "pickup point" where the rotten egg smell is added.
They added that since it was one of the coldest days so far this season, more odor came from the leaks than normal.
No nearby homes were evacuated, and no one was sickened by the leak.
Parents were able to come pick up their children at any point, and students were bused back at 1:30 p.m. where parents could get them.
Officials said classes will resume on a normal schedule Tuesday.