Metro Officer Shooting Case Sent To Grand Jury - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Metro Officer Shooting Case Sent To Grand Jury

Posted: Updated:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The case against the man accused of shooting a Metro police officer during a foot chase has been bound over to the grand jury.

Eric Perkins, 18, waived his right to appear at a preliminary hearing Tuesday on two counts of attempted criminal homicide.

Police said the incident started when Perkins jumped out of a car to run away after an officer responded to a neighborhood complaint in East Nashville around 10 a.m. on November 5. The officer radioed in for help, after seeing Perkins with a gun.

During Tuesday's hearing, two officers testified, including Officer Carroll Fondaw, who shot Perkins after he fired shots at Fondaw and Officer Faye Denson, who was hit in the leg.

Officer Fondaw said he opened fire twice on Perkins-- the first time when he came into the alley and found Perkins shooting at Officer Denson.

"I fired at shots at him, missed, and then he ducked in behind-- I lost sight of him. I utilized that opportunity, because basically he had concealment (and) I'm out in the middle of the alley. I can't see him, so I wanted to fall back and get to some cover," he testified. "That's when I got behind the wooden privacy fence, and then he had went to the side of the house and started shooting at me. And that's when I re-engaged him and he dropped."

"After the incident was done, if I remember correctly, there was [sic] actually bullet holes in the fence I was using as cover," Officer Fondaw testified.

Perkins was critically injured and taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, but has since recovered.

Denson, a seven-year department veteran, was shot in the leg. She was treated and released from the hospital, and continues to recover at home.

Perkins already had charges pending against him from an arrest in May when he was 17. In that case, charges of unlawful firearm possession, vehicle theft, marijuana possession and evading arrest were transferred from Juvenile to Criminal Court.

Officer Fondaw, a 4-year police department veteran, was placed on routine administrative assignment pending the completion of the preliminary shooting investigation.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.