9 Middle School Students Hospitalized After Taking Pills
NASHVILLE, Tenn.- Metro School officials said that nine students from Madison Middle School were taken to the hospital after ingesting an unknown type of pill.
The incident occurred Friday afternoon around 1 p.m. A spokesperson for Metro Schools said it was unknown what type of pills the students took and all were taken to Monroe Carell Vanderbilt Children's Hospital as a precaution.
School officials said it wasn't clear which student the pills were prescribed to, if any, but the pills were not distributed with the intent to sell.
"This is just another example that parents need to have an ongoing conversation with their children, because children are going to be inquisitive, they are going to experiment with different things, and we want all of our parents to understand -- and all of our students to understand -- you just don't take anything that someone gives you. So if it's not a prescription with your name on it, issued by a physician or given to you by your parent, you shouldn't take it," said Tony Majors with Metro Schools.
Officials said the school has a zero tolerance policy on any kind of drugs and that disciplinary actions would be taken.