Officials said crews worked quickly to prevent the fire from spreading to the neighboring houses. The homes on either side of the affected house did suffer damage to their vinyl siding.
"There were no injuries to anybody, but unfortunately pets that perished in the fire this afternoon," Williams said.
Two dogs and two cats died in the blaze. Officials were investigating but had not determined what started the fire, but believe it ignited on the ground floor and quickly spread to the attic.
The Clarksville/Montgomery American responded to the fire. The couple that owns the home has insurance, so they did not need housing assistance. But volunteers did lend an ear as the homeowners dealt with the loss of their pets.
"They were her pride and joy. That's one of the things we do is, maybe our biggest service, is providing a shoulder," said volunteer Ron Lanfear.
Neighbors are working to set up an assistance fund for the homeowners.
You can make donations to the local chapter of the American Red Cross buy calling 931-645-6401.