Three Units Damaged In South Nashville Apartment Fire - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Three Units Damaged In South Nashville Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Two families were displaced after a fire damaged three units at a south Nashville apartment complex on Thursday night.

Crews were called to the Saxony Apartments on Saxony Lake Drive just after 8 p.m. when witnesses reported seeing smoke. When firefighters arrived flames were shooting from the roof of the apartment building. 

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze within about 15 minutes. Most of the damage was contained to the unit where the fire started. Two other units suffered both fire and water damage. 

Investigators said they are looking into what sparked the fire, but witnesses said it looked like it began outside on the balcony.

"It looked like a little flame that maybe started from a cigarette, or some small thing on the porch. And then it just expanded rapidly and it caught the awning on fire, and it started burning the roof and the wall," said witness Karissa Williams.

The assistant fire chief said the people who lived in the affected apartment were home when the fire began and were able to make it out safely.  Two families were displaced because of the fire. The fire chief said the American Red Cross will likely come to their aid.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.