Three Units Damaged In South Nashville Apartment Fire
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Two families were displaced after a fire damaged three units at a south Nashville apartment complex on Thursday night.
Crews were called to the Saxony Apartments on Saxony Lake Drive just after 8 p.m. when witnesses reported seeing smoke. When firefighters arrived flames were shooting from the roof of the apartment building.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze within about 15 minutes. Most of the damage was contained to the unit where the fire started. Two other units suffered both fire and water damage.
Investigators said they are looking into what sparked the fire, but witnesses said it looked like it began outside on the balcony.
"It looked like a little flame that maybe started from a cigarette, or some small thing on the porch. And then it just expanded rapidly and it caught the awning on fire, and it started burning the roof and the wall," said witness Karissa Williams.
The assistant fire chief said the people who lived in the affected apartment were home when the fire began and were able to make it out safely. Two families were displaced because of the fire. The fire chief said the American Red Cross will likely come to their aid.
Wednesday, June 19 2013 2:24 PM EDT2013-06-19 18:24:42 GMT
Country singer Slim Whitman, the high-pitched yodeler who sold millions of records through ever-present TV ads in the 1980s, died Wednesday at a Florida hospital. He was 90.more>>
Country singer Slim Whitman, the high-pitched yodeler who sold millions of records through ever-present TV ads in the 1980s and 1990s and whose song saved the world in the film comedy "Mars Attacks!," died Wednesday at a Florida hospital. He was 90.more>>