Hospital Decontaminates After Chemical Exposure - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Hospital Decontaminates After Chemical Exposure

Posted: Updated:

NASHVILLE, Tenn.- A hospital was on alert Sunday evening after patients and employees were exposed to a chemical.

Metro Nashville Fire and Police processed the scene at Skyline Medical Center. According to a Skyline spokesperson, a patient had been exposed to a foreign chemical. Due to the exposure , nurses, doctors and patients had to be decontaminated.

Police said shortly before 4:00 pm, the hospital picked up a 48-year-old male patient that had swallowed an insecticide called Malathion.

As part of normal protocol they decontaminated any person that had come in contact with that patient, including members of his family and hospital staff.

A sample of the chemical is being sent to the state lab to be thoroughly tested. It is unclear if this was a suicide attempt, but police insist the process was all standard procedure and that the ER has since reopened.

 

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.