Medic Hospitalized After Fire At Clarksville EMS Station
by Marcus Washington
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Tenn. – Fire broke out Wednesday morning at a Montgomery County EMS Station, injuring a paramedic. The fire started just before 10 a.m. at station No. 23 along Highway 149 in Clarksville.
Montgomery County Fire Chief Ray Williams said it appeared the fire started in an ambulance.
One of two workers inside was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville because of smoke inhalation. Jeremy Menear was in critical condition as of Wednesday night.
Fire crews were able to get the blaze under control in about 20 minutes, but the ambulance was destroyed and the garage bay was also damaged.
Officials said it's a blessing no one was killed in this fire.
"When the smoke detector went off the bay area was already fully engulfed, so if an employee -- if a firefighter or an EMT is a heavy sleeper -- by the time they were awakened by the smoke detector, by the alarm, it might have been tragically too late," said Ted Denny with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department.
The fire is suspected to have started in the cab of the ambulance, but the full investigation will not uncover that until state investigators are able to remove the ambulance from the garage. That's expected to happen on Thursday.
It could cost as much as $180,000 to replace the ambulance. Law enforcement will be out at the station throughout Wednesday night to keep the building safe.