Some Meningitis Victims Get Clean Bill Of Health - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Some Meningitis Victims Get Clean Bill Of Health

Posted: Updated:

by Chris Conte

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After months of painful medication treatments and spending thousands of dollars on doctor bills, some victims of the fungal meningitis outbreak have finally been given a clean bill of health.

"I had the last spinal tap, two weeks ago Tuesday and that one came back clear (of fungal meningitis)," said Joan Peay who was one of 150 Tennesseans sickend by the outbreak last year.

Doctors diagnosed the 73-year-old with fungal meningitis last year. Then, came the anti-fungal medication to try and treat her.

"There were days when I thought I would die and I didn't care if I did," she said about how painful the treatments were.

Joan spent 29 days in the hospital, had 7 spinal taps and used $6,685 of her own money to pay for the medication she needed but four and a half months later she is starting to feel like herself again.

 "It's been a real emotional trip the last week," Joan added.

Investigators from the FDA said the New England Compound Center based out of Massachusetts is largely to blame for the nationwide outbreak. Having had her life completely changed by the disease, she still holds some resentment toward those responsible.

"I think they're criminals of the worst kind. They have caused a lot of deaths so they're killers, that's what they are," she said.

Joan is currently suing NECC for $5 million in hopes of being able to pay her mounting medical bills.

 Email: cconte@newschannel5.com
Facebook: Facebook.com/NC5ChrisConte
Twitter: Twitter.com/ChrisConte

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.