One Killed, Four Hurt In Houston County Fire - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

One Killed, Four Hurt In Houston County Fire

Posted: Updated:

ERIN, Tenn. – One person was killed, another was seriously injured, and three firefighters received minor injuries in a fire in Houston County.

Crews were called out around 4:55 a.m. Tuesday after reports of flames inside a two-story house at 355 West Front Street, in Erin, Tennessee - about 70 miles west of Nashville.

When they arrived on scene, they saw flames coming from the home.

Officials said two families were living inside the home. A family of four living on the bottom floor escaped without harm.

A couple was living on the second floor. One of the people died as a result of the fire.

The other person was a female who had to be rescued from the home. She was transported by ground to Vanderbilt University Medical Center with 2nd degree burns over 35% of her body.

Emergency medical technicians wanted to transport the woman by medical helicopter, but were unable to do so due to the inclement weather.

The woman lost consciousness after being rescued. She suffered life-threatening injuries. Her identity and exact condition were unknown.

Investigators said the fire started on the first floor and spread quickly into the second floor. Erin Fire Chief Daniel Warren said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Amanda Skelton lived on the bottom floor. She credited her children for getting them out safely. 

"The kids came running in, saying, ‘Fire! Fire! Fire.' If it weren't for them where would we be," said Skelton.

Erin Fire Chief Daniel Warren said 20 firefighters from the Erin, Houston County and Tennessee Ridge Fire Departments responded to the fire.

The three firefighters from the Erin Fire Department who were hurt all suffered minor injuries, including Chief Warren who had a small burn on his neck sustained while rescuing the woman.

The other two firefighters were treated and released for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was under investigation. The State Fire Marshal was assisting in the investigation. Officials said they believed a faulty surge protector may have been to blame. 

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.