84-Year-Old Woman Dies After Fire At Her Columbia Home - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

84-Year-Old Woman Dies After Fire At Her Columbia Home

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBIA, Tenn. - A Columbia woman died from injuries she received in a fire at her home.

The 84-year-old victim, Ruth Brown, was pulled from the burning house around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday by her grandson.  Fire officials say she fell asleep on the couch while smoking.

Brown was confined to the couch due to circulation issues. Her grandson, Michael Baltimore, told NewsChannel 5 he heard his grandmother screaming then noticed the smoke detector on. He went running and found her on the couch with her clothes and blanket on fire.

"It was smoldering and I just grabbed another blanket and put her out," Baltimore said.

He was then able to move her outside and grabbed a water hose to put out the fire and  called 911.

Brown was taken by helicopter to Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville. She died a few hours later.

Baltimore lived with his grandmother in the basement of her home.  He said he was glad he was there to help but just wishes he could have done more.

(The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.)

 

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.