LAURA MARBURY, R. D. / SOUTHEAST DAIRY ASSOCIATION
Berry Breakfast Bars
Yield: 12 servings
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup applesauce
1 large egg
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries or blackberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine peanut butter, butter, applesauce, egg, milk, vanilla and brown sugar in a large bowl.
3. Combine oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl, mixing until well
combined. Add to peanut butter mixture and mix well. Gently stir in berries.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly
browned. Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into bars.
Kale & White Bean "Panem" Panzanella
Yield: 4 servings
2 cups thinly sliced kale
3/4 cup chopped tomato, chopped
1 (15.5-oz) can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
3 strips bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 cups stale whole wheat bread cubes
1 cup diced fresh mozzarella
1. Place kale, tomato, beans and bacon in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, vinegar, pepper and paprika; mix well.
3. Add 2 Tbsp. of the dressing to kale mixture and stir to combine. Let stand for 15-20 minutes.
4. Toss in bread and remaining dressing. Top with mozzarella and serve.
Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip
Yield: 1 cup
1 roasted garlic bulb OR 1 tablespoon bottled, chopped roasted garlic
1 medium red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
1/2 cup plain 2% Greek-style yogurt
1 cup drained, canned cannellini beans
1/2 -1 tsp. ground red pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine garlic and red bell pepper in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
3. Add yogurt, beans and cayenne pepper; process until smooth. Add feta and pulse just until combined.
4. Serve with crackers, pita chips or sliced vegetables