Suspected Gas Leak Kills Tenn. Racing Fan In Ala. - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Suspected Gas Leak Kills Tenn. Racing Fan In Ala.

Posted: Updated:
(AP Photo/Butch Dill) (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) - Talladega County authorities said a suspected carbon monoxide leak has killed a Tennessee man who was camping out for a NASCAR race.

Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore said friends of the man and his wife found the couple unresponsive inside their motor home at the Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday afternoon.

Deputy Coroner Larry Seals said the couple was likely using a gas stove for heat and there was a problem with the generator's exhaust system. Authorities found the man dead when they arrived, and his wife has been hospitalized in Birmingham. The man's identity has not yet been released.

The man is at least the second racing fan to die while camping out near the track this year.

In early May, a Georgia man accidentally drowned in a creek near the track.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.