Serial Killer Paul Dennis Reid Dead At 55 - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Serial Killer Paul Dennis Reid Dead At 55

Posted: Updated:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Convicted killer Paul Dennis Reid died at a Nashville hospital Friday night. He was 55.

Reid was sentenced to death for the 1997 First Degree Murders of seven people. He was also convicted of the Attempted First Degree Murder of Antonio Gonzalez.  

Officials said Reid was pronounced dead at 5:55 p.m. at Nashville General Hospital at Meharry.

The families of Reid's victims learned earlier this week he had taken ill and may be in the hospital, but never had any confirmation on his condition.

Doyle Brown learned of Reid's death Friday evening. His daughter Andrea was one of three employees killed at a Hermitage McDonald's in 1997.

"I think it's a shock to hear, because it's been so long coming, that I think when it sinks in I'll be able to breathe a little easier now," Brown said.

Reid also killed Ronald Santiago, 27, and Robert Sewell Jr., 23, that night at McDonald's. Their deaths were part of a two month killing spree that frightened and shocked Nashville and the surrounding community.

Reid was also convicted of murdering Sarah Jackson, 16, and Steve Hampton, 25, at the Captain D's in Donelson.

Hampton's widow, Deanna, spoke to NewsChannel 5 Friday night.

"I cannot even get up off the couch after hearing the news. I just have to let it sink in," Hampton explained.

Reid's killing spree also reached up into Clarksville. That is where he murdered Angela Holmes, 21, and Michelle Mace, 16, at a Baskin-Robbins.

Reid remained on death row since 1999 because of appeals to his life sentences. Each time an appeal would come up, it would the murders would once again become top of mind for family members.

"Every time something got stirred up about it, it would be a little excitement that might happen, then another disappointment that it didn't. So, I don't to have to deal with that anymore. You can't kill a guy but once, and I, he deserved it. He deserved it way before now," Doyle said.

The Tennessee Department of Correction did not release why Reid was taken to the hospital. The State's medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine how he died.


Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.