Vandy Rape Suspect Wants GPS Ankle Device Removed - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Vandy Rape Suspect Wants GPS Ankle Device Removed

Posted: Updated:
© NewsChannel 5 © NewsChannel 5

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – One of the four former Vanderbilt football players charged with rape will have to wait another month to find out if he can have a GPS ankle device removed.

Cory Batey's attorney asked a judge in court Tuesday whether his client could have the device removed as he awaits trial. The judge ruled that Batey should come back in 30 days when he will review the decision.

The device was placed on Batey after a bond source hearing in August, after the district attorney's office believed he was a potential flight risk due to statements he made from jail phones about "never coming back to this place."

At that time, the judge told Batey to come back in 90 days to review whether the device could be removed, and his attorney said Tuesday they had waited more than 120 days to make the request.

His attorney also made the argument in court Tuesday that Batey had made all of his court appearances, and that the cost of the device was also an issue.

"We want you to know that Mr. Batey is a lifelong resident of Nashville, Davidson County. Mr. Batey continues to reside with his mother," said attorney Worrick Robinson. "I want to point out, your honor, that there have been no issues, or no instances of conduct that suggest that Mr. Batey is a flight risk."

Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman argued Tuesday that Batey could likely be more of a flight risk after all of the evidence was presented, as prosecutors are close to finishing their discovery.

An August 11th trial date has been set for Batey along with 20-year-old Brandon Vandenburg.

Trial dates for Tip McKenzie and Brandon Banks, both 19, have not been set. Their cases were separated from the other two players in October, and it's believed they will testify against Batey and Vandenburg.

Officials with the Metro Nashville Police Department said the four defendants raped an unconscious victim inside Vandenburg's room at his Gillette House dorm in the early morning hours of Sunday, June 23.

The university was made aware of the situation when officials observing the dorm's hallway surveillance recordings for an unrelated situation saw concerning behavior by the defendants.

They have been dismissed from the team and suspended from school. They remain out of jail on bond, awaiting trial.

Wide receiver Chris Boyd last month entered a conditional guilty plea to attempting to help cover up the crime. He was dismissed from the team but allowed to stay in school.

Two other California men have been charged with tampering with evidence in connection with the case.

Past Stories:

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.