Fatal Columbia House Fire Deemed Accidental - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Fatal Columbia House Fire Deemed Accidental

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBIA, Tenn. – A fire at a home in Columbia that killed a woman and injured her boyfriend and adult son has been deemed accidental by fire investigators.

Columbia Fire Investigators and the State Fire Marshal's Office said there was no evidence that the fire that killed 64-year-old Sandra Johnson at her home on West 4th Street was intentionally set. They believe the fire started from a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Johnson was unable to get out of the home when the fire started around 4 a.m. Thursday.

Her family members described her as a wonderful person.

"She was a wonderful person.  She was a minister, a gospel writer and she loved to write poems about mothers and children," said Sheryl Wilson, the victim's niece. 

Johnson's boyfriend, James Sherill, and her 45-year-old son, Nathon Johnson, were also inside the home but were able to get out of the burning home. At least one of them suffered serious burns and was taken by LifeFlight to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. 

First responders recovered Johnson's body inside her bedroom.

"One gentleman was able to leave through the rear and had tried to arouse the victim several times, and gave a heroic effort trying to save her," said Columbia Fire Chief Lee Bergeron. "Our fire crews actually went straight in the window, and did a search and was [sic] able to locate the patient, but unfortunately, we feel like she was already deceased at that time."

The home suffered significant damage to the front area.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.