Early Morning Apartment Fire Displaces Three Residents - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Early Morning Apartment Fire Displaces Three Residents

Posted: Updated:

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Three residents have been displaced after an early morning apartment fire in Rutherford County.

Officials with the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department said the fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. Saturday at one unit of the Northfield Commons apartment complex, located on Willowbrook Drive in Murfreesboro.

Three people lived in the apartment, but only one person was inside at the time of the fire. Crews on the scene credited a smoke detector for alerting the resident to the fire.

"The smoke detector activated and woke the resident," said Shift Commander Dale Maynard. "This prompted her to open her bedroom door. That is when she discovered what she described as 'smoke as high as her head.'"

One cat had to be rescued during the fire.

Officials said the unit sustained significant smoke, fire, and water damage. 

"We were very lucky that the fire was contained to this unit," said Maynard.

Fire crews said a dryer was most likely the cause of the fire. The Fire Marshall has been brought in to investigate.

Assistance was offered to the family by the American Red Cross but was declined.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.