An Alarming Failure: How to Tell the Difference - | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

An Alarming Failure: How to Tell the Difference

So how can you tell which type of smoke detector you have in your home?

Take a look at your detector.

Ionization detectors may have a small "i" on the front or back. They also sometimes have a radioactive symbol -- or some sort of reference to radioactive material.

And if you have one near your kitchen, it probably tends to go off when you cook.

Photoelectric detectors usually have a small "p" on them. Or if you see the term "dual sensor," that means it contains both technologies.

Back to NC5 Investigates: An Alarming Failure
Back to NewsChannel 5 Investigates

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 NewsChannel 5 (WTVF-TV) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.