NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has released new photos of the suspect at the center of an AMBER Alert involving a Maury County teenager.
TBI officials said Tad Cummins kidnapped 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas on March 13. On Monday, they released new surveillance photos and video of Cummins that were taken one week before their disappearance.
Cummins had just been suspended from Culleoka Unit School following accusations he had an inappropriate relationship with the teen.
A second surveillance video from Walmart in Columbia shows Cummins in the women's cosmetics isle, looking at hair dye.
Now his wife and the community have pleaded for him to surrender and bring Elizabeth home.
“He can run but he cannot hide. The law enforcement will find him. Every day that he's a fugitive his situation gets worse,” said Randall Scott, a former Columbia police officer, who lives next door to Cummins on Haven Drive.
The search for the pair has expanded nationwide and the Federal Bureau of Investigation has gotten involved.
Monday, Elizabeth's father, Anthony Thomas, spoke to NewsChannel 5.
"We're not happy at all," he said. "It's just not the same without her."
Elizabeth's father asked the public to remain on the lookout for Elizabeth and Cummins, asking them to look for what he said was Elizabeth's most recognizable feature:
"Pay attention to the pictures where she's smiling," he said. "She can change her hair color, she can put on makeup, but you're not going to mistake that smile."
The TBI has released a timeline of events:
- APPROXIMATELY 7:30-7:45 AM CST: A friend of Elizabeth Thomas dropped Thomas off at the Shoney’s in Columbia, Tennessee.
- 8:32 AM CST: Surveillance video appears to show Tad Cummins at the nearby Shell station, fueling his Nissan Rogue.
- 12:41 PM CST: The Maury County Sheriff’s Department entered the child as ‘missing’ in NCIC, the nation’s law enforcement internal communications database.
- 3:06 PM CST: Information places Thomas in the area of Decatur, Alabama.
Tuesday, March 14th:
- 3:49 PM CST: The Maury County Sheriff’s Department officially requested an alert.
- 4:18 PM CST: TBI issued an Endangered Child Alert.
- 4:49 PM CST: The Maury County Sheriff’s Department secures the warrant for Cummins, charging him with one count of sexual contact with a minor.
- 5:53 PM CST: Due to the warrant being placed against Cummins, TBI upgraded its alert to an AMBER ALERT.
Officials asked anyone with information on where she could be to call the Maury County Sheriff's Office at 931-375-8654 or the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND (1-800-824-3463).
I-24 Weekend Closure In Effect Downtown
Interstate 24, east and west, has closed in downtown Nashville for a weekend road construction project to replace and rehabilitate bridges.
Silent March Supports 'Clean' Dream Act
With hundreds of thousand of immigrants facing the possibility of deportation, some Nashvillians have been breaking their silence and calling…
Fiery Tanker Truck Crash Shuts Down Interstate
Interstate 40 was shut down in both directions after a vehicle fire covered multiple lanes of traffic.
1 Shot, Injured On McMurray Drive
A man was taken to the hospital after being shot at a local apartment complex.
2 Arrested In Shooting Of Unarmed Security Guard
Two people have been arrested in the shooting of an unarmed security guard, including a Rite Aid employee.
North Nashvillian Celebrates 105th Birthday
A lady who was born in 1912 celebrated her 105th birthday recently. On Saturday, her family had a party for her in North Nashville.
1930's Ring Found, Returned To Overjoyed Owner
A local woman recently found a ring that at first she didn't think was real or expensive, but she not only learned of its value, she also…
Police See Increase In Hermitage Robberies
Metro police say robberies in the Hermitage area have increased 21 percent from the same time last year. Citywide, robberies have…