NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has released new photos of the suspect at the center of an AMBER Alert involving a Maury County teenager.
TBI officials said Tad Cummins kidnapped 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas on March 13. On Monday, they released new surveillance photos and video of Cummins that were taken one week before their disappearance.
Cummins had just been suspended from Culleoka Unit School following accusations he had an inappropriate relationship with the teen.
A second surveillance video from Walmart in Columbia shows Cummins in the women's cosmetics isle, looking at hair dye.
Now his wife and the community have pleaded for him to surrender and bring Elizabeth home.
“He can run but he cannot hide. The law enforcement will find him. Every day that he's a fugitive his situation gets worse,” said Randall Scott, a former Columbia police officer, who lives next door to Cummins on Haven Drive.
The search for the pair has expanded nationwide and the Federal Bureau of Investigation has gotten involved.
Monday, Elizabeth's father, Anthony Thomas, spoke to NewsChannel 5.
"We're not happy at all," he said. "It's just not the same without her."
Elizabeth's father asked the public to remain on the lookout for Elizabeth and Cummins, asking them to look for what he said was Elizabeth's most recognizable feature:
"Pay attention to the pictures where she's smiling," he said. "She can change her hair color, she can put on makeup, but you're not going to mistake that smile."
The TBI has released a timeline of events:
- APPROXIMATELY 7:30-7:45 AM CST: A friend of Elizabeth Thomas dropped Thomas off at the Shoney’s in Columbia, Tennessee.
- 8:32 AM CST: Surveillance video appears to show Tad Cummins at the nearby Shell station, fueling his Nissan Rogue.
- 12:41 PM CST: The Maury County Sheriff’s Department entered the child as ‘missing’ in NCIC, the nation’s law enforcement internal communications database.
- 3:06 PM CST: Information places Thomas in the area of Decatur, Alabama.
Tuesday, March 14th:
- 3:49 PM CST: The Maury County Sheriff’s Department officially requested an alert.
- 4:18 PM CST: TBI issued an Endangered Child Alert.
- 4:49 PM CST: The Maury County Sheriff’s Department secures the warrant for Cummins, charging him with one count of sexual contact with a minor.
- 5:53 PM CST: Due to the warrant being placed against Cummins, TBI upgraded its alert to an AMBER ALERT.
Officials asked anyone with information on where she could be to call the Maury County Sheriff's Office at 931-375-8654 or the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND (1-800-824-3463).
Cadillac Sedan Sought After Double Murder
Detectives said they're searching for a light-colored, four-door Cadillac sedan following a double murder.
IKEA Coming To Nashville By Summer 2020
Nashville is getting an IKEA by summer of 2020, officials have announced.
Murfreesboro City Leaders Combat Gun Violence
Murfreesboro leaders revealed their plan to tackle a growing problem of gun violence throughout the city.
Bike Week Festival Moved To Opryland
Nashville Bike Week officials released the news of a new location of the Gaylord Opryland Convention Center grounds for the festival.
EF-0 Tornado Confirmed In Smith County
The National Weather Service in Nashville has confirmed an EF-0 tornado touched down in Smith County.
Jet For Capt. Kuss Memorial Arrives In Smyrna
The Blue Angels jet that will be the centerpiece of the Captain Jeff Kuss USMC Memorial has arrived in Smyrna.
5 Fallen Service Members From Tennessee Honored
Five service members who gave the ultimate sacrifice were honored at the state's Memorial Day service.
Board Member Calls For Teen To Stay Behind Bars
Metro Nashville Public Schools School Board member Tyrese Hunter and Nashville community members held a press conference to demand the bond…