Actions

1 Hurt, Dozens Of Units Affected In Madison Apartment Fire

Posted: 5:37 AM, Jan 30, 2018
Updated: 2018-01-31 00:22:55Z
Crews Battle Madison Apartment Fire
Crews Battle Madison Apartment Fire
Crews Battle Madison Apartment Fire

Residents in at least 28 units have been displaced and one person was hurt when a massive blaze broke out at an apartment complex in Madison. Authorities said the fire was caused by electrical wiring failure.

The incident was reported early Tuesday morning at the Dupont Avenue Apartments on North Dupont Avenue.  

Resident Preston Mitchell said he awoke to a strange smell and then heard a neighbor banging on his door to get out. 

“Picture 12 big families all running out trying to grab each other’s stuff and at the same time it’s just chaos," Mitchell said.  

Large flames could be seen shooting through the roof of the building. Sky 5 flew over the complex and showed heavy damage with portions of the building gutted. 

The 2-alarm fire prompted a massive response from the Nashville Fire Department. 

A fire official on scene said at least four units sustained heavy damage, while 12 had smoke and water damage. 

It's unclear at this time just how many residents have been displaced. The American Red Cross has been called in to assist those affected. A shelter has been set up at the Madison Church of Christ. 

One woman's dog was killed in the fire. A gofundme account has been set up to help her family. 

Again, officials determined the cause of the fire was due to electrical wiring failure.

Photos: Fire Destroys Several Madison Apartments

*NewsChannel5.com does not assure that the monies or donations deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a donation, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

Donations can be made here to help those impacted. They will be forwarded to the Red Cross.