CEDAR HILL, Tenn. (WTVF) — A Robertson County home exploded when a woman tried to light a water heater, sending her and two children to the hospital.
It happened Friday afternoon at a home in Cedar Hill on Buzzard Creek Road.
34-year-old Brittany Elliott and her two kids, a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old were in the home at the time. Elliot was taken to Vanderbilt Medical Center and suffered a dislocated knee as well as torn ligaments. Family members say the two boys made it out of the home without a scratch on them.
"It's miraculous that anybody got out alive," Elliott's mother, Angela Love, said. Love was at the home searching for family heirlooms and picture on Saturday afternoon. "We're just trying to save some things."
According to the Robertson County Sheriff's Office, Elliott turned on the gas in order to heat the house and was unable to smell the gas in the house. When she tried to light the water heater around 4:20 p.m., it caused the explosion.
Love, however, said that isn't the case, and her daughter did not try to light the water heater. The explosion has been ruled an accident.
"You cant replace the people and they're out. Those are the things you cant replace," Love said.