A female student reported that she was sexually assaulted in a Vanderbilt University dorm.
The report was made Friday to University Police. Campus Security Authority told officers that she was sexually assaulted by a male student in a campus residence hall the day before.
University officials issued a security notice to students reminding them that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of "no" should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need emergency assistance call: (615) 421-1911 or non-emergency: (615) 322-2745.