News

Actions

Major gas leak reported near Belmont University campus Tuesday morning

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WTVF.png
Posted at 10:28 AM, Apr 09, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-09 12:03:23-04

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — A gas leak was reported near Belmont University on Tuesday. Those in the area were asked to evacuate.

The Nashville Fire Department tweeted on Tuesday morning that are "around the 1500 Block of Compton Avenue near 15th Avenue South" should be avoided.

The leak was caused by a construction crew hitting a natural gas line. NFD crews say they have evacuated a one block radius for safety.

The following alert was sent through email by Belmont to their student body:

"A gas leak has been reported near 15th and Compton. Limited evacuations have occurred near the Troutt Theater complex. Please stay away from the area."

As of 10:50 a.m., Piedmont Natural Gas turned off the gas line and the fire department was letting the remaining gas bleed out of the line.

Firefighters checked area buildings for natural gas and gave the all clear.