News

Actions

Home Destroyed By Fire Caused By Space Heater

Posted: 3:17 PM, Nov 18, 2017
Updated: 2017-11-18 21:17:28Z

A house was destroyed by a fire that was believed to be started by a space heater that caused an electrical short.

Reports stated the fire happened before 3:30 a.m. Friday in the 1600 block of Damon Road in Hardin County.

Firefighters said the fire at the home was fully involved when they arrived at the scene. They were able to bring it under control within 20 minutes.

Authorities said the home, which was built in 1941, was a total loss.

The owner and her pets made it out of the home safely. No injuries were reported.

Officials warned the public to be extremely careful when using space heaters. They added residents should never plug space heaters into an extension cord.

Hardin County Fire Department officials in Savannah also reminded citizens they have free smoke alarms for anyone needing them. To get one, call 731-925-6178.