News

Actions

House Fire May Have Been Caused By Cellphone

Posted at 10:49 PM, Dec 19, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-19 23:59:39-05

Officials believe a cell phone is the likely cause of a devastating weekend fire in North Nashville that left a family of six homeless just days before Christmas.

On Saturday afternoon, Nicholle Turner and her six children left their Cockrill Street home for a birthday party. Minutes later their entire house was ablaze, the fire which started in the living room burned all of the family's possessions including their Christmas gifts.

"It's hard, the kids don't understand," Nicholle said standing in the charred remnants of her living room.

Fire marshals believe the cause of the fire was a newly purchased LG Stylo 2 phone left on a couch, the phone wasn't plugged in or charging at the time of the fire.

"I don’t trust the phone company anymore and I purchased three of them," she added.

NewsChannel 5 has reached out to LG for comment but a representative has yet to respond to our request.

Friends have started a GoFund Me for the family: https://www.gofundme.com/n9-family-fire