News

Actions

Kentucky Murder-For-Hire Plot Trial Delayed

Posted at 6:39 PM, May 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-20 19:51:47-04

The trial for the man accused of hiring someone to kill his family in Cadiz, KY has been delayed.

Ryan Champion was supposed to head to trial in August. On Friday, however, the Judge ruled in favor of a delay. Champion has been charged with murder, complicity to commit murder and complicity to commit kidnapping after allegedly hiring a man to kill his father, mother and sister.

Champion has pleaded not guilty to those charges.

Kentucky State Police say he hired 22-year-old Vito Riservato to kill Boyd, Joy and Emily Champion. Their bodies were found inside their Cadiz home on October 26, 2014. Riservato was also found dead.

Friday, the lead investigator of the case took the stand to present possible evidence for the trial. 

Detective Kent Miller said Champion's roommate told police she caught wind of a sinister plot.

"She stated to detectives that Vito [Riservato] had told her he was offered money to kill people," Detective Miller said.

Miller also told the Judge Facebook messages between Champion, Riservato and another woman also helped them piece together what happened. Ann Plotkin, a friend of the two men, has also been charged in connection to the murders.

The alleged plot to kill the family had been in the making for years, Detective said. 

"For five to six years before the murders happened in 2014, Ryan Champion approached [another friend] and offered him money to kill his family," Miller added

Champion's trial is expected to begin in February. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.