Nashville District Attorney Glenn Funk honored local heroes at "Heroes Night."
Five people were honored at the Heroes Night event:
- Sparkle Johnson, who stood up to her abuser and now helps other victims of domestic violence.
- James Shaw Jr., who fought the gun away from alleged Waffle House shooter Travis Reinking.
- Shirl Baker, whose daughter, DeEbony Groves, was killed in the Waffle House shooting.
- Metro Police Officer Trent Craig
- Metro Police Officer Nicholas Diamond: Both attempted to save Officer Eric Mumaw as he was dragged into the Cumberland River trying to save a woman driving her car into the water.
The officers said they're humbled to be honored, but they were just doing their jobs.
"Did we really deserve that? Are we really heroes? I mean I guess to some people we are. But like you said, it's just another day at the office for us," said Craig.
Craig said he was honored to meet Shaw, who he called a real hero.