Father, Son Safe After Fire On Taggart Avenue

Posted at 2:36 PM, Jan 10, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-10 15:36:13-05

A family safely got out of their home after a fire in the fireplace got out of control.

Officials said the incident happened around 7:44 a.m. Sunday at a home in the 100 block of Taggart Avenue.

Authorities said a father started a fire in the fireplace around 7 a.m. when it got out of control and went up the chimney.

The father and his son were able to get out of the home safely, and officials said the mother was out of town.

According to reports, the house had heavy smoke and water damage, but only burned about 30 percent.

Firefighters were able to rescue two animals from the home.

Authorities said they were unsure if the fire happened due to a dirty chimney.

No further details were available.