News

Actions

Woman Credits Smoke Detector To Saving Her Life

Posted at 6:40 AM, Aug 11, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-11 08:47:39-04

A woman has credited a working smoke detector with saving her life after fire broke out inside her Nashville home.

The incident happened early Thursday morning along Rock City Street in the Inglewood area.

Delores Wiley said she awoke to the sound of her smoke detector going off around 3:15 a.m.

Officials with the Nashville Fire Department said the blaze started in the kitchen and was the result of an electrical issue. 

Wiley said she had been watching the 2016 Rio Olympics after getting home from church Wednesday night.

When she heard a loud sound, she initially thought it was the horn sounding the start of one of the swimming matches.

“I’m grateful to God that the horn continued to go on and I looked at the TV and there were no swimmers in the pool and I realized it was something else,” she said. “That’s why it’s very important to have smoke detectors – working smoke detectors.” 

Wiley does have insurance and is able to make repairs to the home. She said she’s staying with family for the time being.