NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — As the delta variant spreads, testing site organizers have had to rethink operations, adding the ability to see more people and decrease wait times.
To meet the demands in Nashville, the testing site on Murfreesboro Pike has been administering around 1,200 tests a day this week.
Just this week, Metro made some enhancements because of how many people were relying on the site. The drive-thru testing center added six extra lanes, now totaling eight lanes to handle the volume.
On Wednesday, officials say average wait times maxed out around 45 minutes.
We learned from the personnel who worked in this extreme heat that the wait times today maxed out at around 45 minutes. THANK YOU to all of the people working at this site who reconfigured the site and worked so hard all day.— Nashville EOC/OEM (@NashvilleEOC) August 25, 2021
Battling the heat has been another issue, as health care workers have been outside during those peak hours.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
No appointment is needed -- it's free and health insurance isn't needed. Metro says you should have results in about 48 hours.
The Murfreesboro Pike site is open weekdays from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. You can get vaccinated there, as well.
Metro is also looking for sites to open another testing center if the demand continues to grow.
NEW WEEKEND DATES
The Metro Public Health Department is holding seven vaccine clinics on Saturday. Three of those sites will administer the COVID-19 shots and test for the virus.
The new sites open Saturday for testing and vaccinations are:
- Fairfield Missionary Baptist is open from 9 a.m. until noon at 1004 Dickerson Road
- Ford Ice Center - Bellevue is open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at 7638 B Highway 70 S.
- Ford Ice Center - Antioch is open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at 5254 Hickory Hollow Parkway
The new sites open Saturday for vaccinations are:
- Richland Park Farmers Market from 9 a.m. until noon at 4711 Charlotte Avenue
- Adventure Science Center from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at 800 Fort Negley Boulevard
- Church at Mt. Caramel from noon until 4 pm. at 1032 Monroe Street
- Hunters Community Market from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. at 110 Gallatin Avenue