NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Metro police and local churches are teaming up to get guns off of Nashville streets. Already, 16 guns have been turned in to faith-based partners.
Starting March 1, people could anonymously turn in firearms at participating churches, no questions asked. Churches are equipped with secure lockboxes to safely store those weapons until police can collect them.
The program was organized by the Metro Police Office of Alternative Policing Strategies and aims to reduce violent crime throughout the city.
The Rock United Ministries in North Nashville is one of the churches participating. Pastor Samuel Orr said over the last five years, he's seen gun violence rise in the neighborhood surrounding the church. He said something had to be done to reverse the trend.
"I’m tired of our young people dying from guns," said Pastor Orr. "I’m tired of going to funerals and seeing a young person die faster than their parents."
Pastor Orr said he is working to spread the word to his congregation and hopes more people will participate.
"If I can just get one gun off the street then that might save my child, or that might save your child," said Pastor Orr.
The Metro Nashville Police Department reported that last year more than 1,300 guns were stolen from cars within Davidson County. So far this year, more than 70% of all guns reported stolen were taken from vehicles. A large portion of those stolen weapons are used to commit more violent crimes.
Church membership is not required to visit any of these locations.
- Bethel Church of Nazarene — 455 Broadmoor Dr.
- Change Ministry Church — 1001 N. Fifth St.
- The Church at Mt. Carmel — 1032 Monroe St.
- Galilee Missionary Baptist Church — 2021 Herman St.
- Greater Faith Missionary Baptist — 822 Wren Rd.
- Greater Heights Missionary Baptist Church — 1600 14th Ave. N
- Greater Revelations Missionary Baptist Church — 1027 12th Ave. N
- Madison Church of Christ — 106 Gallatin Pike
- Mt. Moriah Community Baptist Church — 209 Berry St.
- Nashville Inner City Ministry — 1000 Apex St.
- New Hope Baptist Church — 6010 S New Hope Rd.
- The Rock United Ministries — 2422 Alameda St.
- St. James Missionary Baptist Church — 600 28th Ave. N
You can also drop guns off at Plaza Mariachi Music City.