ENCINITAS, Calif. (KGTV) — Friends say Jade Erick was a “free spirit” who was as beautiful on the inside as she was outside. She was also interested in holistic health, but that interest may have contributed to her death at the age of 30.
Erick died after a bad reaction to turmeric, a spice used in Indian food and in dietary supplements, that was dripped directly into her veins through an IV.
According to the San Diego County Medical Examiner the cause of her death was “anoxic encephalopathy due to prolonged resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to adverse reaction to infused turmeric solution." A spokesperson confirmed the turmeric was delivered through an IV.
Friends said Erick suffered from eczema flare-ups that were itchy and uncomfortable. She hoped the treatment would help clear it up.
“It’s a natural, safe way to help people with pain and inflammation,” said Mark Stengler, a naturopathic doctor who offers turmeric to his patients but only in oral form.
Stengler didn’t treat Erick, but said he does know a few holistic health practitioners in Erick's hometown of Encinitas who deliver turmeric intravenously.
“There are some doctors who use Turmeric extract in IV form to try and heighten the physiological effects, so the anti-inflammatory effects of the turmeric,” Stengler explained. “It hasn’t been well studied. It’s more theoretical, so it’s more investigational.”
The Medical Examiner is calling Erick’s death an accident, but is still investigating.