'This was a ruse to get police to the house.' Metro Officer shot in 'setup' at South Nashville home

sugarloaf home.jpeg
Posted at 7:00 PM, May 04, 2021
and last updated 2021-05-05 06:37:34-04

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — A Metro Nashville Police officer was injured while responding to a reported active shooter at a home in South Nashville. But police say it was a "setup" and when officers arrived the suspect opened fire on officers.

Police and fire crews were called to the 7200 block of Sugarloaf Drive for a report from a man claiming his brother had shot his mother and that the gunfire was continuing.

Three officers knocked on the door, but when they began to enter the home, the caller opened fire, injuring Officer Brian Sherman, according to MNPD Spokesman Don Aaron.

brian sherman.jpeg
Officer Brian Sherman

Officers retreated from the home. The gunman, 22-year-old Salman Mohamed, followed them outside. Aaron says officers attempted negotiations with him, but they failed. Mohamed died when he shot himself in the driveway of the home.

No officers fired their weapons during the incident, according to Aaron.

"We believe the person who made the 911 call was Mohamed himself. In fact, on the 911 call, you can hear him saying that he's scared that shots are continuing to be fired. Hurry, hurry, please get here in a hurry. It was all a ruse to get the police officers to this scene," said Aaron during a press briefing.

Aaron said Mohamed's mother and three siblings were in the home, but no one was injured nor were any other shots fired as he initially reported.

"Mohammed's motives for this, have not been determined. Obviously, we'll be talking to his family throughout the evening, to try to resolve, why he did this," said Aaron. "Again, no one else in the home was hit. This was a ruse or a setup to get the police to come to the house, and as soon as the officers knocked on the door, the door was opened, and they came under fire by Mohammed."

Officer Sherman was shot in his left arm. During the initial response, medics were able to get to him and transport him to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He was released from the hospital late Tuesday night.