FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WTVF) — No injuries were reported and no damage was sustained after an explosion that took place at Poplar Grove Middle School in Franklin Tuesday morning.
A temporary storage container exploded in a construction area on the campus of the school at 7:20 a.m.
Franklin Special School District said the fire caused by the explosion was limited to the immediate area, and quickly extinguished.
Students were temporarily held on the elementary side of the school until the fire department said it was clear at 7:35 a.m.
The construction area at the school is for the addition of a gym and a performing arts center. For those projects, there is a restricted storage area in the middle school parking lot, where the explosion happened.
The Franklin Fire Department said the container that exploded was being used to store construction tools and serve as a work space for the construction workers. A propane tank in the container began leaking overnight, filling it with flammable gas. When workers arrived at the site this morning, they started an electric space heater, igniting the gas and causing the explosion.
"We're very fortunate that nobody was injured, because numerous students, parents, school buses and staff were in the area at the time of the explosion," said Franklin Fire Marshal Andy King.
FSSD said that classes are on regular schedule.
The principal of Freedom Middle School, near the Poplar Grove schools, said classes and operations are normal at Freedom Middle; however, students who are affected by traffic will not be counted as tardy.
No injuries or school damage sustained following @franklinspecial Poplar Grove Middle School construction site explosion. Cause of blast believed to be propane leak and space heater: https://t.co/9T8yG2wOQJ pic.twitter.com/kr18BSG2op— Franklin Fire Department, Franklin, TN (@FranklinFire) January 25, 2022