Suspect Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting On Peytonsville Road Overpass

Posted at 11:36 AM, Jun 20, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-20 20:07:25-04

An officer-involved shooting has forced the closure of the Peytonsville Road overpass at Interstate 65 in Williamson County. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The incident happened just before 10 a.m. Tuesday. 

PHOTOS: Officer-Involved Shooting In Franklin

Director Mark Gwyn with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said officers with the Franklin Police Department were in pursuit of a stolen white Chevrolet Equinox, driven by 40-year-old David Bryan Creson, who had outstanding warrants. 

The vehicle was stolen from a Williamson County residence. 

At some point they decided to deactivate their pursuit. Later, deputies from the Williamson County Sheriff's Office spotted the vehicle on Lewisburg Pike and attempted to pull the Creson over. 

Gwyn said as he drove eastbound over the Peytonsville Road overpass. Creson stopped the vehicle, got out, brandished a weapon and pointed it at a pursuing deputy. 

There were three deputies at the scene. One fired at Creson, striking him. He was pronounced dead at the scene. 

None of the deputies were shot, although one did sustain a leg injury. Their identities were not available. 

Officials with the Franklin Police Department said exit ramps were open but traffic was not being allowed to cross the bridge while the investigation was ongoing. 

The road was reopened to the public around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The stolen vehicle was blocked on the front by what appeared to be a black, unmarked squad car - and in the back by a marked vehicle from the Williamson County Sheriff's Office. 

Crews from the Franklin Police Department, Williamson County Sheriff's Office and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation were at the scene. 

Several evidence markers lined the ground near the SUV. Two temporary screens from the Sheriff's Office were blocking the view in both directions.

The investigation was ongoing. Police said there was no danger to the public.