A fast moving fire at an apartment complex on North Petway Road in Franklin has taught a handful of renters a tough lessong about the importance of renters insurance.
"It could’ve been a lot worse if firefighters weren’t here as soon as they were," says Kat Kolp who was displaced by the fire.
Investigators believe a resident had been smoking chicken earlier in the night and discarded the wood chips into a potted plant.
The resident woke up smelling smoke. He tried putting out the blaze with water and ran to get a fire extinguisher.
However, it was too late. About 20 units had to be evacuated, with 10 of those residents displaced.
Kat and her boyfriend were displaced after their ceiling collapsed - they don't have renters insurance and are now trying to pull together their own funds to help with living expenses.
"I’m definitely gonna not have renters insurance again after this experience," she adds.