Three injured in Madison shooting

Posted at 7:11 PM, Jul 19, 2021
and last updated 2021-07-20 18:42:39-04

MADISON, Tenn. (WTVF) — Metro Police officials say three bystanders were injured when a man fired shots toward them for unknown reasons during an incident Monday evening on Neely's Bend Road in Madison.

Emergency crews and Metro Police officers responded to reports of a shooting Monday evening.

Once there, they found three victims. One was shot in the leg and transported to TriStar Skyline Medical Center the second had an abrasion to the ankle and was transported to General Hospital, and the third was grazed by a bullet that had ricocheted and refused transport.

On Tuesday, Metro Police issued warrants against the shooter, 23-year-old Deangelo Spears, charging him with three counts of attempted criminal homicide, two counts of aggravated assault and felon in possession of a handgun.

They say Spears, who is paralyzed from the waist down, was seen at 6:15 p.m. sitting in the roadway at Neelys Bend Road near Argyle Avenue calling out for help.

When a man attempted to check on him, Spears allegedly fired toward him with a bullet that ricocheted off the pavement hitting the man in the knee.

Spears then allegedly fired at a man across the street who was walking on the sidewalk, hitting him in the leg. Police say he fired at a third man who pulled into the nearby Walgreens. A bullet entered his rolled down passenger window and hit the driver’s side window, shattering it.

A fourth man then attempted to intervene but took cover after Spears reportedly fired at him as well.

Officers Brandon Lopez and Thomas Denenea responded to the scene to tend to the victim, but as Officer Denenea got out of his patrol car, with lights and sirens activated, police say Spears fired multiple shots toward him, hitting Denenea’s police vehicle.

Officials say officers did not return fire and gave Spears repeated commands to drop his weapon. Spears then reportedly used his arms to pull himself around the corner of a residence where he was taken into custody.

A handgun and several cartridge casings were located in the yard from where Spears had been shooting. Additional casings were found on Neelys Bend Road near Argyle Avenue. The recovered gun was out of ammunition.

Police are looking into why Spears was in the area and why he started shooting. Spears was transported to General Hospital for treatment of pre-existing medical issues. Detectives tried to interview him but he was uncooperative. Spears will be arrested upon his discharge.