NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Nashville Fire Department (NFD) arson investigators have arrested Catherine Parker for starting a fire in her Madion apartment this past Wednesday evening.
Parker called 911 around 6 p.m. Wednesday, reporting that her apartment in the 600 block of Heritage Drive had caught fire.
According to NFD, the flames had already ceased on their own when responders arrived, but they still used a hose to extinguish some leftover hot spots. They also used animal oxygen masks to revive Parker's two pet cats, who were inside the apartment at the time of the fire. The cats are okay.
When arson investigators questioned Parker, she admitted to spraying her bedroom mattress with bug spray and then igniting it with a lit cigarette.
"Arson is a dangerous and possibly deadly crime against our community," said Director Chief William Swann. "Our experienced arson investigators will continue to bring arsonists to justice to ensure arsonists are not able to continue to destroy property and threaten lives."
The NFD arson investigators charged Parker with aggravated arson and reckless endangerment. Parker is currently in the custody of Davidson County Sheriff's Department with a bond of $70,000.