Youtube chef and cookbook author Alane Boyd made a Beet Hamburger. Alane's new cookbook BurgerFit officially launches on June 1. Pick up a copy of the book online at www.burgerfitcookbook.com. Get $5 off when you use the code: NewsChannel5. The official BurgerFit Launch Party is on Tuesday, June 4 from 5pm-7pm at CityScape, 123 West Broad St. Suite 1 Cookeville, TN 38501. For more recipes, check out Alane's Youtube channel at Cooking with My Friends and follow her on Instagram @cookingwithmyfriendsofficial. Go to https://alaneboyd.com/cooking-with-my-friends/burgerfit/ for more information.
BEET BURGERFIT BURGERS
Yields: 6 Burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2 beets, cubed
Beet greens, or swiss chard if your beets don’t have their greens
11/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon cooking fat
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 garlic clove or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb ground meat
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove the greens and stems from the beets. Cut the beets into cubes and coat with 1 tablespoon cooking fat and 1 teaspoon salt (no need to peel the beets unless you prefer to). Roast them in the oven for 15 minutes. They are done when you can easily put a fork through them. When you remove the beets from the oven, add the greens to them. The heat from the beets will cook the greens and save you from having to cook them separately!
2. Once the beets and greens are cooked, put the beets, beet greens, horseradish, and garlic in the food processor (or finely chop). Taste vegetable mixture and add more salt if desired. Let the mixture cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, mix the ground meat and remaining teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal.*If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
4. Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 5 minutes each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
5. Optional: Top with goat cheese and honey mustard and serve over a bed of salad greens.